Monday, August 4, 2014

My Great Teacher


栗田です




 
   Ms. Y was my elementary school teacher when I was a fourth-grade student. In Japan, elementary school teachers teach every subject by themselves, so she taught me math, Japanese, sociology and science.
 
  She was a small lady with short black hair. She wore the glasses with no frame and, behind them, she had gentle eyes. She usually smiled to us, and her smile was very cute and comfortable.
 
  One day, when we were drawing a picture for decollations of a ceremony, I was upset because I was not good at drawing. I failed to draw many times, so I decided to give up painting well. I finished my picture quickly, went to Ms. Y to submit it and said,
“Teacher, I finished. Can I go outside to play?”
As soon as she looked my picture, she must have noticed that I had given up doing my best. She asked,
  “What’s the matter with you? Your picture looks like a mistake. You feel bad?”
“No, I am ok. I am just bad at drawing. I cannot paint good pictures!”
I looked down on the floor and was about to cry. But she said, in warm voice,
  “Taka, I know you well. You are never bad at drawing. Show me your hands. You have long fingers. You can draw a good picture, try again.”
 
She also gave me some advice for pictures. So I got a confidence and tried again.
 
   I considered the idea of my picture well, and finally came up with a good idea and started to paint. While I was painting, I could really fulfill my curiosity and noticed that I liked drawing. After this episode, my picture was selected as an excellent work and exhibited in the art museum in our town for a short time.
 
   Like this, she helped us a lot. In my opinion, encouraging is an essential skill of teachers because children will learn and notice a lot of things like my episode when they are trying by themselves.
 
  Ms. Y was really good at encouraging students. She sometimes scolded and sometimes consoled students. She also could give us proper advice.
 
  That’s why I think she is the greatest teacher I have ever met.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment